Friday, February 15, 2013

FO: Gail Shawl

This is a shawl that had been on my knit list for the longest time. I wanted to make this every since the pattern was released in September 2008 but I had a hard time trying to understand this pattern. I had trouble understanding the chart written by the designer. This is a free pattern so I don't complain about anything. The designer is already generous enough to provide fellow knitters with a free pattern. It's my job to figure out how to read the charts. So it annoys me when people complain about the charts not being properly written. 

I had a hard time understanding the chart because of the double yarn over in the middle. I always thought I was making a mistake as it didn't seem to line up properly with the chart. But once I talked to my friend and found help from fellow raveler, I decided to start making this shawl. It didn't take long to finish it, probably took me around a week to finish it. Once I got through the first repeat, it wasn't hard at all. There are more complicated patterns out there that required more time to make!  

The double yarn over at the base of each leaf. Different from other shawls I've made before. Most of the ones I made before all had increases in the center panal creating a straight line of increases. This shawl was a shawl made for my aunt as I promised to make her a full size shawl.

The shawl is only made up of branching out leaves as its motif. Simple yet elegant. I do love this pattern but there are other patterns that I want to make first. If I ever make this again it will probably be a last minute gift to friends and family.


The yarn used was Rowan Pure Wool 4 ply. It was yarn I received from my fellow ravelry yarn swap. It's a 100% wool fingering weight yarn. It's not a color I will ever wear so it's good for making shawls to give away! The yarn itself is very warm and it's great for cold winter nights for keeping you warm. It also felt soft enough I will purchase again in another colorway.

Pattern: Gail Shawl
Yarn: Rowan Pure Wool 4 Ply
Yardage: 696 yards
Needle: 4.5mm






No comments:

Post a Comment